Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How come when you call 911 the fire dept comes?
07-08-2011, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2011 12:38 AM by ho1774.)
How come when you call 911 the fire dept comes?
Today when my grandma fell and hurt her leg and we called 911 why did they fire dept come with the ambulance. Btw I am in canada if that helps
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2011, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 11:26 PM by ho1774.)
RE: How come when you call 911 the fire dept comes?
certainly has nothing to do w/ suggestions, normally i would have to delete the post, but for the moment i move it to the main board, maybe one of the canadian guys has an answer for you.

As for Germany (since that is where the game is based on): the policy is to always dispatch the "nearest available usefull unit", which mens in a case like this the first response might come from Fd, THW, water rescue, mountain rescue or whoever else has an EMT on board if they are able to get to the scene quicker than the ambulance (which of course will also be dispatched)
07-09-2011, 06:27 AM
its called co responding and it might be happening in london soon :-(
08-26-2011, 03:39 PM
(07-09-2011 06:27 AM)sam1454 Wrote:  its called co responding and it might be happening in london soon :-(

What is so bad about that Sam? I don't mind going to medical calls, considering it isn't something like "General Sickness" or "Atomic Diarrhea" Big Grin HAHA

Co-Admin for Little River Fire Dept.
08-27-2011, 04:50 AM
We in London are not exactly happy with the senior officers that run our brigade. We have just recently been out on strike because they were going to issue us with new contracts and said if we didn't sign them then we were sacked!! That was to every firefighter in London! Included in this contract were things like co responding, shift changes, closure of stations, loss of trucks, night time closures ..... The list goes on. It's not co responding that I'm against, is what comes with it. Also I don't see the point in cutting the ambulance service's numbers then making us do their job.
08-27-2011, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2011 09:09 AM by 1291ga.)
(08-27-2011 04:50 AM)sam1454 Wrote:  We in London are not exactly happy with the senior officers that run our brigade. We have just recently been out on strike because they were going to issue us with new contracts and said if we didn't sign them then we were sacked!! That was to every firefighter in London! Included in this contract were things like co responding, shift changes, closure of stations, loss of trucks, night time closures ..... The list goes on. It's not co responding that I'm against, is what comes with it. Also I don't see the point in cutting the ambulance service's numbers then making us do their job.

I get what your saying now, by gosh I'd be on strike too. I am volunteer so we aren't contracted, but I can imagine what most firefighters in London feel like, Angry , Right?

08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
All this was nearly a year ago now but yeah still Angry about it
08-28-2011, 02:04 AM
(08-27-2011 09:33 AM)sam1454 Wrote:  All this was nearly a year ago now but yeah still Angry about it

So it's already implemented? I don't mind doing it here, as it is a small county with a lot of vehicles on the road. The ambulance takes a while sometimes, and if we did fire only we would never get out of the house (we'd probably go back to ringing church bells instead of tones as well Tongue )

08-29-2011, 10:56 PM
(07-08-2011 09:34 PM)Shad Scocca Wrote:  Today when my grandma fell and hurt her leg and we called 911 why did they fire dept come with the ambulance. Btw I am in canada if that helps

Most of the United States department's that I know run Paramedic Fire Trucks. Meaning that every firefighter is trained to the level of EMT-B and there are a minimum of 1 or 2 paramedics on each truck. This is useful for instances with trauma, cardiac arrest, non-breathers, lift assist, or immediate patient stabilization. So when you call 911, a fire truck will respond to be the 'first in' to secure the scene, make patient contact, then assist the EMS crew. This is especially important when Ambulances are delayed, or busy so the engine company can provide life-saving support until a transportation unit can make it to the scene.
08-30-2011, 04:15 AM
(08-28-2011 02:04 AM)1291ga Wrote:  
(08-27-2011 09:33 AM)sam1454 Wrote:  All this was nearly a year ago now but yeah still Angry about it

So it's already implemented? I don't mind doing it here, as it is a small county with a lot of vehicles on the road. The ambulance takes a while sometimes, and if we did fire only we would never get out of the house (we'd probably go back to ringing church bells instead of tones as well Tongue )

No it's not implimented because we stood up and faught as a union. Don't get me wrong co responding isn't the problem. It's the way they are hiding cuts. It will happen in London with out a doubt. We only just got defibribrilators on our vehicles.