Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New technology in firefighting
07-10-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 10:08 PM by 1291ga.)
Video New technology in firefighting
I was on Facebook when I happened to see a post with a link to this article on FireRescue1's page about new technology made to help interior firefighters by counting steps/distance moved and a compass to know what path the firefighter is on.

It can reportedly give personnel outside of the structure a view from the device, as well as giving them a location of the firefighters inside. They plan to make a way for the personnel outside to communicate with those inside, and a couple of other things.

What are some opinions of our firefighting crowd on here?

Co-Admin for Little River Fire Dept.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 01:14 AM
RE: New technology in firefighting
Though I am not a Firefighter, I would think that any technology that could save even 1 life would be something that everyone would want. Granted the technology would have to be proven as effective, & have more pro's than con's.

My only concern after watching the video (& I admit I didnt get to see the last 2 mins) that I didnt see get addressed, would be if a Firefighter had to make a decision to move due to a safety factor. If they become disoriented after making such move, would the system lead them back to the area that became unsafe moments earlier?

Executioner
Missouri "Show Me" Administrator
07-11-2013, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 01:35 AM by 1291ga.)
I actually found a player who's department is testing them. He said 2 firefighters in the department are assigned to testing it, and that it still has a few kinks (one being that they melted one, it couldn't sustain the heat)

Co-Admin for Little River Fire Dept.
07-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Thats really cool that a players dept actually is using this technology. Be nice if they could (would) chime in on the subject w/ some of their insights as to how the systems actually work & the such.

Executioner
Missouri "Show Me" Administrator
07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
we dont use it here, however it would be nice to see it used or at least view on how it works on the grounds

Member of Kippens fire/rescue and auxiliary member for stephenville fire/rescue....be safe always
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2013, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2013 08:00 PM by CamanoEngine.)
Our department is actually one of the agencies to test this prototype. They have been used on a select few members of the department. I am not one of them however I do hear about them. The first one we used was burnt in a meth lab fire, they were not designed to take the heat they need to. As opposed to that the only other flaw is sometimes the locator is incorrect which kind of defeats the whole purpose, they are working on advancing it so I am sure they will get it soon!

(07-11-2013 01:31 AM)1291ga Wrote:  I actually found a player who's department is testing them. He said 2 firefighters in the department are assigned to testing it, and that it still has a few kinks (one being that they melted one, it couldn't sustain the heat)

who was that?

(07-11-2013 01:44 AM)Executioner Wrote:  Thats really cool that a players dept actually is using this technology. Be nice if they could (would) chime in on the subject w/ some of their insights as to how the systems actually work & the such.

That was me, I put a little bit about it above